Tuesday 2 December 2008

Cardinal Newman

I can't help having been more than a little pleased that the Catholic Church couldn't find any remains when they tried to dig up Cardinal Newman...
here

He wanted to be buried with to his 'friend' Fr Ambrose St John....now who does that usually? It would be 'next to' or near....not WITH!

...The cardinal repeated on three occasions his desire to be buried with his friend, including shortly before his death in 1890.

"I wish, with all my heart, to be buried in Fr Ambrose St John's grave - and I give this as my last, my imperative will," he wrote, later adding: "This I confirm and insist on."

Newman wrote after the death of St John in 1875: "I have ever thought no bereavement was equal to that of a husband's or a wife's, but I feel it difficult to believe that any can be greater, or anyone's sorrow greater, than mine."...here

So - when I heard that the 'Vatican-grave-robbers' couldn't even find trace of his bones - I smiled - a lot in fact, and wondered if he had made a secret arrangement with the grave diggers before he died!

No comments: