Wednesday 15 April 2009

Happy Easter.....

I have been a bit quiet on the blogging side - but busy enough elsewhere.
Pink balls on the golf course show up better in the 'rough' than the others and essays have been flowing thick and fast out of the house.

Death - well, I have cared for a number of folk this year, but most of them have been very much alive and unlike the embalming clients, have asked for return visits. Looking after feet has been a pleasurable experience on the whole and I look forward to collecting more regular clients as time goes on.

What else has been happening?.......the usual - scrabble on FaceBook....and River of Life in Dorchester
which has proved to be a real joy.........it is so, so lovely to be involved in a church that doesn't consider a multifaith multi-path soul like me as a threat......in fact, I get to be involved on a very profound level, which makes me feel really humble and proud all at once! Somewhere buried on the site you even get to hear me preach, I have blogged about the AIDS service last December.

So, back to death. Hmm - I am currently writing about 'The Abject Didacticism of 'Body Worlds' and Bread Works'. Looking at Gunther von Hagen's plastinated corpses:
and the bread sculptures of Kittiwat Unarrom

This link is just one of many on the net - I just selected it at random as the pictures were quite fresh looking!

The essay is proving to be quite a challenge; while it's very easy to be descriptive - and I so want to be - it's a different matter when it has to be argued through the work of accepted death theorists and other philosophers......I have just finished a first draft and am going to sit on it for a bit, look again...make changes, then send it off for comments - I have hopes that my tutor will accept the tack I have taken!

So - lots of death theory. A trip to london to see the current Body World presentation at the 'Dome'.....you want to know what I thought of it? Just don't get me started..........it's another post in itself I recon, however, why not go and read 'The Emperor's New Clothes' by Hans Christian Andersen - here's a link:

That ought to give you a bit of a clue.....!!!!

1 comment:

Fi from Four Paws and Whiskers said...

Welcome back...
Love my morning gross out! Sorry, I couldn't eat that bread.
SO you are not impressed with the body display? Can;t wait to hear what has set you off!